Happy Valentine’s Everyone!
Valentines Day is only a few days away and one way guaranteed to make your partner fall in love with you all over again is through making this Macadamia Salted Caramel and Pumpkin Mousse.
This Macadamia Salted Caramel and Pumpkin Mousse has a divine silky smooth texture with a slight crunch that is both indulgent in flavor and a nutritious delicacy. The initial goodness of salted caramel tantalizes the taste buds, and with every air-whipped bite the fusion of rich dark chocolate from the cacao; irresistible nutty taste of coconut; and natural sweetness of pumpkin delights the senses making this a culinary masterpiece intertwining flavor and texture together. This mousse is made even more insatiable by the crunchy macadamia pieces mixed into the mousse adding a creamy buttery flavor. The topping of fresh raspberries complements the delicate sweetness of the mousse providing a tart undertone, balanced by the dark chocolate shavings making this a dessert you will never forget.
While I do not believe that there should only be one dictated day to express to your loved one how much they mean to you, but in saying this the only saying of “A way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” is quite true…and that being said the same in reverse (hint hint to you fellas out there).
This Macadamia Salted Caramel and Pumpkin Mousse is not only a delectably wholesome treat that will have your partner going wild but has been carefully created based on discovering that the options for vegan and gluten free mousses are quite limited, and even more so with the unique key ingredients utilized in this recipe.
Firstly, the addition of Australian-grown macadamia pieces provides this mousse with a distinctive X-factor rising above the current mousses on offer. The macadamia pieces have been added to provide a crunchy texture that complements the silky-smooth texture of the actual Salted Caramel and Pumpkin Mousse. Evidently, texture has been distinguished as a significant factor influencing product preferences and satisfaction, whereby the crunch is associated with the sound this produces while eating, playing an important role in modulating multi sensory sensations of flavor.
While macadamias are more energy dense, based on its nutritional profile of being higher in fats compared to carbohydrates and protein, macadamias offer an essential source of monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats especially, and are low in saturated fats. Therefore, as a result of this nutritional profile, studies that have been conducted upon utilizing macadamia nuts within a dietary assessment have found that the fatty acid profile of macadamias can contribute to altering the serum LDL cholesterol levels and potentially total cholesterol levels that lead to decreased cardiovascular disease risk depending upon the quantity and frequency at which macadamia nuts are included into the diet.
Similarly, one of the other most significant ingredients in this mousse is the golden salted caramel sauce. This been made from scratch and blended into the mousse in order to create the perfect balance of salty and sweet. The sweetness level of the salted caramel sauce has been formulated to appeal to both the shifting flavor preferences of consumers seeking more subtly sweet vegan foods, as well continuing to meet the expectation of a particular level of sweetness continuing to entice the rest of the marketplace. Furthermore, one of the other complimentary flavors that enhances the delightful taste of salted caramel in this product is the distinctive taste of chocolate achieved through the addition of raw cacao added to the mixture.
Furthermore, one of the other key base ingredients that makes this mousse special assisting in providing the incredible velvety texture is the use of silken tofu. The selection of silken tofu is based on it naturally having a pudding-like quality that is incredibly light in texture. The creamy mouthfeel and fatty flavor of the silken tofu due to it being made with denser, richer soy milk is beautifully blended into the mousse enriching the flavors of the other ingredients.
For those that ordinarily do not include tofu into their diet or predominantly use this within savory dishes, the Macadamia Salted Caramel and Pumpkin Mousse will provide an element of surprise , demonstrating the diversity of this ingredient.
Tofu has mainly been consumed as part of the eastern Asian diet in the past, however, this is increasingly used in the Western diet as tofu is free from cholesterol, offers a complete source of protein, calcium, minerals, and polyunsaturated fats that are beneficial for most consumers.
Butternut pumpkin is one of the essential core ingredients within this mousse adding to the smooth consistency and delicate sweetness of the mousse which will leave you enamored. This is has been incorporated as a way to demonstrate that adding vegetables into not only savory dishes, but also desserts can be truly amazing and beneficial for the overall diet. Butternut pumpkin also has tremendous nutritional benefits offered with it naturally being low in calories, great source of both beta-carotene and vitamin C, important source of antioxidants, high in dietary fiber and minerals.
Makes approximately 1o servings of 150 grams each
Vegan, Dairy Free and Gluten Free
Preparation & Cooking Time
30 minutes prep time
50 minutes cooking time
30 minutes refrigeration time
- ½ medium butternut pumpkin
- 1 ½ cups of dried dates
- 1 ½ cups of water
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup of lite coconut milk
- 2/3 cup of maple syrup
- 8 tbs coconut oil
- 8 tbs coconut butter
- 2 tbs hulled tahini
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups of macadamia chopped
- 2 cups of salted caramel sauce melted (see recipe)
- 1 ½ cups of pumpkin mashed (see recipe)
- 1 ½ cup of lite coconut milk
- ¾ cup of date puree (see recipe)
- 140g silken tofu
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- ¾ tsp xanthum gum
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Half kernel macadamias
- Vegan dark chocolate shavings
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove any seeds
- Remove the pumpkin skin
- Cut the pumpkin in small pieces and place in the steamer. Steam this for 40 minutes until the pumpkin is very soft
- Remove the pumpkin from the steamer and mash with a spoon. Store in the fridge to cool for use later.
- Soak dates overnight in water
- Blend the soaked dates and the ‘date water’
- Pour the date puree through a sieve so that all excess date skin is caught. Throw out the date skins.
- Store the date puree in a glass jar to use later
Salted Caramel Sauce
- Add the maple syrup and coconut sugar to a small saucepan and bring to medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar melts
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to stir until everything has melted
- Keep sauce warm to add this to the mousse filling
- In a food processor blend the macadamias until they are chopped (be careful to not over blend). Set aside.
- Add the pumpkin puree, 1 cup of lite coconut milk, 1 ½ cup of melted salted caramel sauce, date puree, silken tofu, raw cacao powder, vanilla extract, and xanthum gum into a large food processor. Blend well until the mixture is very smooth. Stop the machine occasionally to scrape down the sides so that all components are incorporated evenly into the mixture.
- Add the remainder of the lite coconut milk, melted salted caramel sauce, and salt to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the chopped macadamias into the mousse filling and mix in using a spoon.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into individual serving cups.
- Using a vegetable grater, shave a block of vegan dark chocolate. Collecting this onto a plate and set aside.
- Wash the raspberries. Place 3 raspberries into the middle of each mousse cup
- Place 2 half kernel macadamias next to the raspberries
- Take a pinch of the vegan chocolate shavings and scatter on top of the mousse.
- Place the mousse cups into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill before serving. Serve chilled