OK this isn’t quite as the name of ‘Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice Vegan Granola’ suggests, not because it isn’t vegan, absolutely scrumptious, and you will most likely devour it in a few days like I did, but more so because this does not contain any refined sugar in this recipe. However,
‘Rice Malt Syrup & Spice and Everything Nice Vegan Granola’ just did not have quite the same ring to it.
For some time I have been desiring to experiment with creating my own granola due to the fact that I have a great fondness for granola and normally choose this as a breakfast option when dining out. Yet, I find that store-bought granolas are far too sweet (and this is from a person that has quite a sweet tooth). Furthermore, most of them contain quite a few ingredients that I personally do not choose to consume (yes some might call me fussy, but I rather think of myself as meticulous in terms of what I will feed my body). Therefore instead of purchasing these products that I do not truly agree with, I thought why not just create this myself. Thus this gives me control over the ingredients that I use, I can determine the quality of the ingredients I use, the quantity of the ingredients, and the level of sweetness. Also, through bulk buying my ingredients for this recipe, and so many others of mine, I find that home cooking is more cost effective.
This was my first, but surely not my last time time making my own granola, as I have fallen in love with this ‘Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice Vegan Granola’ recipe. I found that it has the right level of sweetness for me as well as other family and friends that I tested this on.
The brilliant thing about this recipe is that it is simple and easily adapted to suit your individual tastes, preferences and needs! If you have not done your shopping in advance, and only have the base items to go ahead with plus other random ingredients in your cupboard then this is ok. You can easily use whatever nuts you can get your hands on, different dried fruit or leave this out completely, and use maple syrup or honey (if you are not vegan) if you prefer, anything is possible!
I guarantee you will FALL IN LOVE with this ‘Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice Vegan Granola’ because it not only smells heavenly once it comes fresh out of the oven, but is Sweet, Crunchy, Nicely Spiced, Perfectly Crisp, Nutty, Wholesome, Simple, Nutritious, Filling, and Delectable.
Makes approximately 12 servings
Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Preparation & Cooking Time
10 minutes prep time
30-40 minutes cooking time
5 minute standing time
- 4 cups of gluten free oats
- 1 1/2 cups of mixed seeds and nuts (I used almonds, walnuts, pepita seeds, and sunflower seeds)
- 8 dates cut finely
- 1 tbs of ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbs raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp lucuma powder (optional)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 2/3 cup of rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 tsp unhulled tahini (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 x large mixing bowl
- 2 x mixing spoons
- 1 x small sized pot
- 1 x measuring spoon
- 1 x measuring cup
- 1 x large oven tray
- 1 x sheet of baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl
- In a small saucepan over medium to low heat, warm the coconut oil, rice malt syrup, unhulled tahini, and vanilla essence. Once these have mixed together well pour this over the dry ingredients and mix well so all of this is covered
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes to make sure that it is evenly cooked and it does not burn. The coconut oil will help the granola crisp nicely, but it also browns quite quickly as well.
- Once the entire mixture of granola is visibly brown, remove from the oven and let it cool down. Toss it as it cools down to break it apart otherwise it will cool down to be one massive granola bar. Feel free to choose how finely you want this to be broken up as you can also let this form into granola clusters as well.
- Store this in the pantry in air-tight sealed jars. This can be stored for a few weeks (but I am sure that it won’t last that long because it is so damn delicious!). Bon apetit!
- Feel free to play around with the recipe by adding in different ingredients such as cashews, cranberries, raisins, shredded coconut, and many more to your hearts content
- Feel free to interchange the gluten free oats for buckwheat groats, oats groats, or even quinoa flakes